Making our (green) mark
Revitalized in 2011, the Melvin Mark green team, Green Marks, meets on a monthly basis to promote educational events and programs for both internal employees and building tenants throughout our various properties.
Green Marks, the Melvin Mark sustainability team, promotes sustainable building practices and educational programs to stimulate environmental engagement within the company, our properties and the larger community.
Meet our Green Marks team
Have a green question or idea? We want to hear it! Email us.
The 2012 year has been extremely busy for the Green Marks team. They organized four building-wide tenant events, welcoming speakers from the City of Portland Bureau of Transportation, Waste Management and Allied Waste to further encourage public transportation, recycling and composting within our buildings. Several other educational events for internal staff were also held, including a tour of Portland’s Metro Transfer Waste Station and a viewing of the movie “Dirt”.
- September 19, 2012 | Green Marks takes a walking tour of downtown Portland focusing on stormwater management.
- August 8, 2012 | The Green Marks team tours the new Blanchet House of Hospitality, aiming for LEED Gold certification. The new facility serves over 300 meals a day and will house 40+ men in transition. The project incorporates many green features such as operable windows and the largest reclamation tank for grey water in the city. Click here to view photos.
- June 19, 2012 | GoBox presents its program of subscription-based, reusable to go container service to the Green Marks team as an additional sustainable amentity for tenants in our buildings.
- April 23, 2012 | Melvin Mark hosted an Earth Day Celebration at Haseltine on Monday, April 23rd. Tenants were able to learn about the GoBox program and sign up, enter to win a raffle prize.
- April 20, 2012 | Melvin Mark hosted an Earth Day Celebration at Columbia Square on Friday, April 20th. Tenants made a personal pledge on a "Humanitree", collected building and vendor information and toured the new secure bike room.
- April 19, 2012 | Shaw Contract Carpets provided product and process education on sustainable flooring materials available for use in tenant improvement projects. Building staff and Melvin Mark Construction Company staff learned about the "cradle to cradle" philosophy and newest technologies for flooring materials.
- April 2, 2012 | GoBox, a local reusable take-out container comes to the Union Bank Building as a new drop-off location for all tenants. Melvin Mark pays for the pickup service and provided education to all tenants.
- March 1, 2012 | Water Tower and Bailey Building start their new composting program.
- Feb 23, 2011 | Water Tower and Bailey Building Recycling 101 Tenant Education: Michelle Metzler from Waste Management Inc. presented to tenants of the Water Tower and Bailey Building over lunch. The information was thorough and dialogue lively.